Welcome to the Giant’s Rib Discovery Centre!
A Discovery Centre is a place where you can stop in along the trail and learn about the wonders of the Niagara Escarpment World Biosphere Reserve. Currently our one Discovery Centre is in the Dundas Valley Conservation Area, but we are working hard to expand to a network of Centres all along the Escarpment in Ontario. You can learn more about where the Discovery Centre Came from and its history by visiting these links:
Our current Centre is located inside the Dundas Valley Conservation Area’s Trail Centre and is open on weekends from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Conservation Area contains 40 km of trails in the Dundas Valley; a nodal park along the Niagara Escarpment. You can learn more about the Escarpment and the Dundas Valley by clicking on the image to the right.
Your visit to the Centre will include a wide range of interests including:
- Interpretive display panels with many interesting facts and images relating to the Niagara Escarpment,
- Fossils on display more than 400 million years old…twice as old as the dinosaurs!
- Artwork or photography on display in the gallery. Once a month we feature an artist or photographer and their Escarpment-themed works,
- Digital display screens with videos and photos showing the wonders of the Niagara Escarpment World Biosphere Reserve,
- Fossil crafts for kids! Kids can make their own clay medallion from a real fossil,
- Our extensive Escarpment Library,
- For Sale items such as Niagara Escarpment Gift Cards, waterfalls posters and more…
- Guided interpretive hikes scheduled Saturday mornings at 10 a.m. (check the hiking section or events listings for details).
One more thing you’ll find in the Discovery Centre is a dedicated volunteer giving their time to tell people about the wonders of our Niagara Escarpment!
So enhance your walk along the Bruce Trail, your visit to a waterfall or grotto or cave or cliff with a visit to a Discovery Centre coming soon to the Escarpment near you!